Wednesday, January 6, 2010

One Is Not Always a Lonely Number


This morning, I am enjoying my first real alone time in thirteen years. Since becoming a stay at home parent when my first child was born, any time “alone” has come about by freak accidents (all the children napping at the same time, for instance) or by begging and bribing a friend to take my children to their house so I could get something done, like meet a deadline, or go to a doctor’s appointment.


This morning, for the first time ever, all four of my children are in school. At the same time.


Granted, this will only happen two mornings a week for me. My son just started morning kindergarten, and my daughter just goes twice weekly to a 2 year-old preschool. But quite honestly, I don’t know if I could handle any more aloneness for the time being. I’m going to have to ease into this slowly.


Most luxurious for me has been sipping my morning coffee, brewed in a French press coffee pot, doused with Vanilla Spiced Rum creamer. Every sip has been piping hot. Nobody needed their nose wiped or diaper changed while I was drinking it. I sat, and sipped.


The first hour of my alone time, admittedly, was spent doing some practical, utilitarian tasks. I’ve balanced our checkbook, I’ve updated a website that I’m in charge of. I’ve marked down some important dates on our family calendar, and I’ve filled out a form that was needed for my son’s school.


Hour two is all about me. I’m doing my favorite thing, which is putting words to a page, and then, folks, I’m going to take my piping hot coffee to the couch, put my feet up, and I’m going to read a book. A book that doesn’t have pictures. And I might get a whole chapter read (maybe two!) without interruptions.


Oh yes, I could definitely get used to this.

No comments:

Post a Comment