Sunday, April 17, 2011

Hosanna! But Not Where You'd Think.

We missed church this morning, but not for lack of trying.

The kids were rousted out of bed, dressed, toast and cereal were flung on the counters. We gave more than a couple 5 minute warnings. And one, two, three, four, five, six, we all piled into the van for our weekly trip to church. Since we started attending a church in the city, we have to navigate our way out of the suburbs, and admittedly, we are still learning the ins and outs of city traffic.

As traffic on the expressway slowed to a crawl, I could feel my heart rate rising. Each precious minute was slipping away, and with it our chances of getting to church on time. And when I miss church, the rest of my week is just ... off. And since I was already feeling a bit off, I knew church attendance was mandatory for me. What was the hold up?

Rubberneckers. *sigh* A red SUV had unceremoniously hopped the median, and ended up facing counter to the traffic pattern. And well, we had to look—just like all the other rubberneckers. Squad cars were everywhere, and thankfully, we didn't see an ambulance. The traffic jam unlocked, and we were on our way ... but it was too late. Church had already started, and we weren't going to make it.

And that's how we ended up spending Palm Sunday in the Conservatory. We took the first exit off the expressway and found our way to the conservatory, a place we'd always told ourselves we'd visit ... some day. As a good, trained church-going Christian, I felt at first that it was a sacrilege to be anywhere other than worship on a Sunday morning, especially Palm Sunday. I was afraid someone might recognize me and "tsk" that I wasn't at Palm Sunday services.

Then I saw the palms! As we walked into the front door, I got that feeling of entering heaven. The only thing that would've made it more heaven-like would've been harps. Or flutes. Or whatever God has on his iPod. The sun streamed warm through the glass roof, and the overwhelming smell of oxygen and pollen overtook our senses.

I won't miss church next week. I promise. But I have this sense that I did attend church this morning. I go to church to feel loved, refreshed, hopeful, and in awe of the beauty and loveliness around me. This morning I saw the awe-inspiring fruit trees that feed humans and animals alike, the leaves the provide shelter, the flowers that produce nectar and color and aroma and texture. I was in a biosphere of all the earth's lovely creation—including the park district workers who water and maintain the gardens and ponds. And of course my lovely children, the perfectly imperfect creations entrusted to our care.

Hosanna!

No comments:

Post a Comment