Tuesday, August 21, 2012

Retreat!

Today is the first full day of the school year in which all my kids, Kindergarten through High School will be … not home. The house is practically echoing. After catching up on the news, I turned off the TV and listened to that holy, blessed silence. I didn't think my house was capable of sounding like this.

It makes me think of the word retreat: (compliments of Wikipedia)

This is happening right now. I'm sipping my ice water after a grueling workout. (Okay, grueling is probably a strong word. But I did sweat, and my legs kind of hurt.) And I've had about 6 complete thoughts already, and nobody interrupted me!
 
 Not that my kids are a military force, but they do sometimes come at me from all directions with stunning force and efficiency. And watching them all leave for school, without looking over their shoulder, reminds me that I've done my job. My kids are strong and independent, and hopefully they know that they will make it in the world without me; but that if they need me, I'll be waiting behind them with words of moral support. Or maybe they'll hear my voice in their head: "Trust your gut."
After a long exhausting day at school, hopefully everyone comes back here and feels like home is where they want to be. And hopefully I'll be ready to take on the homework questions (warning: anyone asking Mommy a question pertaining to math or chemistry will promptly receive a blank stare).
  • Retreat (bugle call), a military signal for the end of day, known as Sunset in the UK and Commonwealth countries
Our days don't end with a trumpet fanfare, but last night, my husband and I took a walk with our daughter. As our she rode her new pink bike in front of us, we caught up on the day's events. We were lucky enough to catch the pinkest, most technicolor sunset I've seen in a while. I clasped his hand a little tighter, knowing not every day will end this peacefully. But I'm just taking one day at a time. Later that night, I held my kids close to me as we read a couple chapters of Roald Dahl's The Witches. No bugle there either—just the soft sound of me snoring because I was tired. But happy.
  • Re-treat, to treat again: see Therapy
 A stark reminder (thank you, Wikipedia) that—despite all our best efforts—we are all really just a step away from therapy, aren't we?

4 comments:

  1. I don't think I believe that you don't end your days with trumpet fanfare.......

    Also, Math and Science can come to our house. We are sickly talented in that arena.

    ReplyDelete
  2. A trumpet fanfare COULD be arranged, I suppose. But the neighbors might not like it.

    Also, all Math and Science questions will be directed to you. It takes a village.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think thd neighbors would have moved by now if they cared about trumpet fanfares....

    ReplyDelete
  4. Nice. Interesting to see you linking from dedicated fb page now.
    Way to go.
    Nice use of photo to illustrate.
    I'll be over for breakfast soon.
    HA HA HA

    ReplyDelete