Friday, April 2, 2010

Family Camping


Because of the large span of ages in our children, I can see the writing on the wall: it’s going to get increasingly difficult to find family activities that appeal to everyone. How do you find something cool enough for a teenager that’s also friendly enough for a preschooler? Time will tell. But taking advantage of some unusually warm spring break weather, our family packed up the tent this past week and headed to a State Park nearby for an overnight camping adventure.

Somewhat a novice camper myself, I follow my husband’s lead when it comes to the camping trips. We like to make a game of it, to try to keep it as simple as possible. No electronic devices are allowed, and we rely on firelight and flashlights for our after-dark entertainment, which usually consists of s’mores and reading aloud. My husband and my sons, having read a variety of Gary Paulsen books that involve some type of wilderness survival, have an arsenal of pocket knives and even a magnesium block and flint to start our fires—proclaiming that matches are for wimps.

Of course, going without our regular conveniences make things a little slower, a little more deliberate. Which is why our camping trips are so technicolor: hands down, our camping trips have afforded us the most precious, concentrated family togetherness time. I have no doubt that our children, in adulthood, will look back on our times on the campground as the most special. Having a State Park as your living room turns your whole world upside down, especially for a family deeply entrenched in middle class suburbia. Look, there are deer behind those trees! Why are those geese flying in a V formation? These are things we don’t often ponder when in our natural habitat, which happens mostly indoors with modern convenience at every turn. Our trip to the “wild” reminds me how much I love my indoor plumbing, my hot shower and my electric coffee pot. But I’m game for the next trip. If I’ve got my husband and my kids and yes, even my dog, I’ve got everything I need. Sign me up!


No comments:

Post a Comment